WHAT IS THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE?
Therapeutic massage involves the manipulation of the soft tissue structures of the body to prevent and alleviate pain, discomfort, muscle spasms, stress and to promote health and wellness. It also improves the functionality of the circulatory, lymphatic, muscular, skeletal, and nervous systems and may improve the rate at which the body recovers from injury and illness.
Here at bwellhealth our therapists have a diverse background of techniques, education and experience. Some of the services we provide include:
- Deep Tissue Massage- releases restrictions of the deeper muscles and underlying connective tissue through slow, deep pressure movements to relieve tension and pain.
- Trigger Point Therapy- for the release of trigger points within the skeletal muscle.
- Swedish Massage- light to medium pressure used for stress relief and relaxation.
- Shiatsu/Acupressure- releases concentrations of energy or blockages for a more whole-body approach to restoring energy balance.
- Myofascial Release- is used to identify and release areas of restrictions in the fascial system and aims to produce a well-balanced, mobile and symmetrical body.
- Polarity- uses energy to restore the body’s balance.
- CranioSacral therapy- is a gentle technique for releasing muscle/joint tension and tissue restriction, in order to promote balance and relaxation.
- Lymphatic drainage for edema and swelling.
- Prenatal massage- helps to relieve headaches, back pain, enhances sleep and reduces stress and fatigue.
MEET OUR THERAPISTS:
JoAnn McAllister has been practicing massage therapy for 25 years. She graduated from the Swedish Institute in New York in 1990, where she was originally licensed by the state medical board.
JoAnn also lived, worked, and studied at Omega Institute for Holistic studies from 1990-1992. While in residence, she studied with holistic practitioners and healers from all over the world. Her work reflects this diverse background, as a session is likely to include any or all of the modalities in her repertoire.
JoAnn’s practice offers:
- Classic Swedish
- Deep Tissue
- Trigger point release
- Polarity therapy
As a rule, JoAnn concludes each session with a deep relaxation energy protocol from polarity therapy which helps the client integrate the physical work.
JoAnn has been associated with Dr. Bardwell’s practice for over 15 years.
Write up coming soon…
Briana Henes has been practicing massage therapy for over a year. She graduated from Spa Tech Institute in Westbrook in September 2016. She is trained in Holistic massage which includes both Swedish massage and Polarity Therapy. She likes to incorporate a few other modalities into her work as well per the individuals needs.
Her pressure ranges from a soft energetic touch to deep pressure.
Her practice includes:
- Swedish Massage
- Polarity Therapy
- Trigger Point Release/ Neuromuscular techniques
- Pregnancy and infant massage
When she isn’t holding space for her clients she is hiking with friends, decorating or crafting up something creative.
Native of New England, in particular, the Boston Area, I attended and graduated from Ben Benjamin’s Muscular Therapy Institute, Cambridge MA in 1998. Benjamin’s focus was and still is using massage as a Healing Art to cope with and overcome pain due to injury and stress.
This was a concept that I embraced, and which led me to further train. I am certified in Sports Massage, Swe-Thai, and K-Taping. I have been trained and employ a variety of therapies during a course of a treatment, depending on the circumstances. My training also includes myofascial release, stone massage, trigger point and prenatal.
Striving to train as an athlete myself puts me in touch with just how important a role massage and nutritional awareness play in reaching physical and mental goals.